Tuesday, September 28, 2004
கேளுங்க கேளுங்க, கேட்டுகிட்டே இருங்க!! @
By Whoosh 2 @ 3:55 am      8 Comments
I live in Bangalore, but my native is Chennai and i shunt between Chennai and Bangalore quite often. Although Bangalore is a lovely place, Chennai is where I have been all my life and so it takes on a dimension of its own..

But, on my every visit to Chennai, there is something that i miss a lot. Something that i have left back in Bangalore. No, it is not my college definitely. No, it isnt that cute little girl that I like to see everyday. Its....."Radio City, 91 FM". Although Chennai has double the number of radio stations than Bangalore, none of those channels quite match up to the "bubbliness" of Radio City.

From the time when Sunaina Lal wakes me up by screaming, "Good Morning Bangalore, nanna hesaru Sunaina..", till hearing Deraius signing off in the night, Radio City has 'em all.

I think the reason why Radio City sounds more hippy is that the RJs speak in English. It makes it that much more lively. Thats where Radio city beats the crap out of Radio Mirchi 98.3 FM in Chennai. Using tamil is fine, but when one listens to Radio Mirchi, the language sounds too artificial. It starts sucking after a while. And let me not start on the other channel in Chennai.. "Suryan FM".Gawd! The lesser i speak about it the better.

There is one thing that i can't stand about RC-91FM. Those serials that these guys play in the afternoon.. I'd rather hang myself than to listen to them!!!


8 Comments

8 Comments:
  • At September 28, 2004 10:15 am, Blogger Ambar said…

    I used to like it when it first came out, but then they shifted focus to crappy hindi movie music (Bah!)
    BTW, is this in response to a certain 'suddenlee's recent post?

     
  • At September 28, 2004 10:27 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Precisely man... :)

     
  • At September 28, 2004 10:47 am, Blogger Sanket said…

    I don't understand the whole point. Of course, I don't give a damn to any of the RJs or VJs or whatever they are, on any radio, any TV channel or anything for that matter. But for me the FM is a good thing. There are a lot of old hindi songs.. kannada songs as well. There's classical music too. That's fine for me. Let them say whatever they want in whichever language they want, I would not listen to it anyway...

     
  • At September 28, 2004 10:50 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Well yes. I listen to RC-91FM for the music too. But, the RJs add a little more spice to the entire show. It may be "fabricated entertainment", but hey!, i dont care, it gives me a little entertainment in the monotonic life that we engineers lead..

     
  • At September 29, 2004 10:32 pm, Blogger Metlin said…

    I like three genres -- none of which are played exclusively in India -- classic hard rock, rap and techno. Unfortunately, the first is often mixed with bad boy/girl bands, there is no rap except for Eminem (hmm, technically not rap, but still..) and techno is considered a mix of trance and house.

    However, 107.1 in Chennai used to play the occasional good classic rock, with a few good DJs. These days, kids have no bloody clue about music or musical history and become RJs. Eh.

    Ofcourse, that's why online music radios rock.

     
  • At October 01, 2004 1:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    radio mirchi 98.3 is pretty manageable! and tht suchitra has a nice sophisticated way of putting things, though it might not be proper tamil... suryan sucks big time!!
    radio city is really cool.. they ensure that they play my fav numbers atleast 3 times a day, even without me asking for them!!! and finally an opportunity to listen to old hindi stuff..else its mostly crap.. and vikki u hit the nail on the head man! here i come to b'lore thinking that i have had a great escape from all the soaps which grandma watches! and lo! who the hell wud want to hear 'kyonki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi' on radio??? nahiiiiiiiin !!

     
  • At October 01, 2004 1:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    btw, the prev comment was by me!
    -Ms S.N :))

     
  • At October 02, 2004 8:52 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Yevaava en blog la hindi la pesuradhu?? Dhoda!!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
History
Archives
Super Star Blogs
My Shreya
The Salad
Affiliates
  • 15n41n1
  • Get Firefox
  • Listed on BlogShares