Monday, March 14, 2005
Avazh @
By Whoosh 2 @ 8:16 pm      16 Comments
Her son passed away a couple of years back. He was the same age as me. Maybe a year older. We resembled each other. We had similar features; we were of the same height; same build… My cousin was a very popular fellow.. My aunty liked me a lot as she saw him in me.. I am on my way to meet my aunty. She wanted to introduce me to someone…

I met Shreya three years back in the Chennai MRTS. It was late at night - around 10 pm. We were the only two people in the compartment. Her eyes were red. She had obviously been crying for sometime. Out of the corner of her eye, I could still see a tear tickle down. Feeling sorry, I decided to talk to her. I had another half-hour of train journey left and that was quite enough time for me to console her – I thought.

“Hai. I am Vikram..”
“...”
“Hello… “
“…”


All that she said were some incoherent mumbles. She was not too stable that night. She probably had a little too much to drink! I figured that it wasn’t a great idea to leave her there in that state. I took out her cell phone from her bag and called her home. I told the other person to come to the TIDEL Park station. It was her brother. I helped her out onto the platform at TIDEL Park and waited for her brother to come. He was there in 10 minutes. After explaining what had happened, I took leave of the two. Before I left, I slipped my visiting card into her bag….

I went to work the next day, and with a thousand things to do, the previous night’s happenings were the last thing on my mind. That evening, at around 6, I received a call.

“Hello. Is this Vikram”
“Yes. Who’s calling?”
“Were you on the MRTS yesterday night?”
“Yes. Who is this?”
“I would like to meet you at Coffee Day at 8 tonight. Please come.”
“Hello… Hello…”


The caller hung up on me. The female voice on the other side sounded sweet. I was contemplating whether to go or not. Curiosity gave in. I decided to go.

Coffee Day was pretty close to where I work. I was there on time. Inside, in a corner of the café, I saw a familiar face. It was the girl from the previous night. She was in a pink top and dark blue jeans. Her face was bright and full of life – a total contrast to the previous night. She was sipping a cup half-full with coffee. She had come a while ago, apparently. I went up to her.

“Hai.”
“Is it you?”
“Yes?”
“Are you Vikram”.
“Yup”
“Take a seat.”


She ordered coffee for me too. I would have preferred a tropical iceberg though. She asked me what happened the previous day. I narrated the entire incident. She looked at me rather suspiciously.

“Why did you drop your card in my bag?”
“If I didn’t, this conversation wouldn’t be happening”, I said sheepishly.

I carried on.. “You look much prettier compared to yesterday”
“Are u mocking me??”
“No.. No.. ofcourse not..”
“Are you trying to hit on me?”
“Excuse me!!!”
“If you are.. Forget it. I am not your type.”
“Hmm..”,
Girls!!! I thought!

We chatted for a while, and she told me that she had broken up with her boyfriend the previous day. She was quite the talker. I was slipping in an “Hmm” or a “Yes” and a “I see” whenever I got the chance. It was almost half past 9 when she said that she had to leave. She gave me her mobile number and asked me to call her sometime.

Call her sometime? Well well… She did look my type. But girls who drink turn me off. I hated her for that. I wasn’t planning on calling her anytime in the future. The next day, she called me again. She asked me out on a date. I thought that things were moving too fast. But hey, I am a guy – and when a girl asks, we never say no. Do we? Of course not. I accepted. We met again that weekend. We spent the entire evening together – and a few more too. We went out for almost a month. I got to see the other side of her – the tom boy in her. She had to have her way always. In a café, she always ordered. I wouldn’t say that she was the best in ordering though! She liked to win. She would play till she won. She wrote beautiful stories. That was her hobby. That was her passion. She wanted to publish her own book someday. She would give her stories to me and ask me to read it. I hated that part, as I was quite the critic. If I found something I didn’t like, I would say that I didn’t like it. But thankfully, that situation never came with her stories. They were all beautiful…

It was the 30th of April. I received an SMS from her. “Hey Vikkki. It is my birthday tomorrow. Don’t forget it. If you do, I might have to celebrate your death anniversary along with my birthday from next year”. Now, that was a nice way to ask for a gift, wasn’t it?? ;). I decided to take her out for dinner. On the 1st of May, I drove her to hotel Bayview. I made it clear that I was the one who was going to do the ordering. As luck would have it, I met my classmates from college there. To say the least, they were surprised to see me with a girl.

“Dai Vikkki, yaaru da idhu”
“Guys, idhu Shreya. She is my friend”
“Shreya meet… ######”

After the introductions, I took her to the table I had reserved. She looked sad. Her eyes were teary. I asked her what happened…

“You introduced me as your friend… Am I just your friend??”

I didn’t know how to respond to this. We had officially not taken our relationship further. This was the first time she said it. I went over to her and gave her a nice tight hug. We had more than one reason to celebrate that night.

Soon, it was our 100th day together. She called…

“When is a girl the most beautiful?”
“When she plays the Veena”
I said. I like who can play the Veena.
I asked “When is a Guy the most handsome?”
“When he gives his girl a rose in front of her friends. Vikkki, I want you to give me a red rose today at my college”
“What?”
“Do as I say…”


I went to her college that day. I found out that they had some inter collegiate culturals. Shreya was on stage. She was playing the veena. Just like I had asked her. She performed and came down. She came straight to me. Her friends were all there. I didnt’t say a word. I gave her the rose. It turned out just the way she wanted it. She looked the happiest person in the world that day…

Time moved on.. Shreya wanted me to write a letter. She wanted me to write about everything that I felt about her. She said that she would do the same about me. We were to meet at our favorite hang out - The park in the middle of the city. We met. She took out a jar and put both our letters into it. She dug a small hole in the ground and buried the jar into it. I couldn’t understand what was going on. She told me that she needed time to think about her future. She said that she wanted some time alone. She told me to meet her at the same spot two years from that day. She said she would have made her decision by then. Two years hence would be the day we would read the letters we have written each other – she said. A tear trickled down from my eye, though I tried hard to suppress my emotions. I kept telling myself “Two years is not such a long time”.

Two years passed. There was not a single day when I didn’t think about her. We were to meet at 2 pm that day. I arrived at 1:30. It struck 2. She didn’t come. 3pm. 5pm. 9pm. She didn’t come. I decided to open the jar and read her letter.

“Vikkki. The time I spent with you is something I can never forget. I had probably the best time of my life with you. I told you that I broke up with my boy friend. The truth is, my boyfriend died. That was the day I met you. It seemed as if he was showing you to me. I tried looking for him in you. I know that it is wrong and I am sorry. I met him on the train too. Infact, he was so much like you. He loved my stories. We loved spending time together. He too gave me a rose on the 100th day. But now I know that you are the person I would like to spend my life with. But I feel guilty inside. The more I like you, the more it hurts me. I need time to forget him. I wont be coming there after two years as we planned. I will come someday and read what you have written about me. If we were destined to be together, we will meet someday, somewhere.

Bye Vikkki
Luv,
Shreya.”


It has been more than a year since this happened. I reached my aunty’s house. I was seeing her after 6 months. She took me aside and told me that her son’s girlfriend was here. She told me that her son’s girlfriend had faced a terrible time after he died and she wanted the girl to meet some new people. My aunt wanted me to take her out. As we resembled each other, my aunt felt my cousin’s girlfriend would find him in me… She took me to her for an introduction..

We didn’t need one.. Fate made sure that we met. We were destined to be together.

:)

Vikkki

PS: Inspired from a Korean feature film.
16 Comments

16 Comments:
  • At March 15, 2005 12:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First time here.. nice one dude.. realised in the middle of the story things were getting too mushy for real life.. still felt like kicking you at the end of it.. is atleast a prt of it true? like meeting her on the train ??

     
  • At March 15, 2005 1:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Came across ur blog... Thot "oh my God! how sweet! this man is so kind ot help someone like this..but as i came to the middle of ur grt story, thot is this possible in real life???? but when i finished reading it...I felt.. Suppose i meet this guy by any chance I'll treat him with his favourite dishes.. and ask him how on earth does he get such ideas???? phew!!!

     
  • At March 15, 2005 1:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh shit.. tidel park station didnot even exist 3 years back

     
  • At March 15, 2005 1:39 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Shan:

    haha.. Thanks for dropping by man. The story is entirely fictious. None of the characters exist. As a matter of fact, the TIDEL Park station hasnt started functioning even today.. :)

    @Anon:

    :) Thanks man. But, i must add that the story is not 100% mine. A korean film inspired this story. :)

     
  • At March 15, 2005 5:23 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    gawd.. vikkki!! how can u be so soppy senti in ur stories n such a brat otherwise..?? is it some prerogative?!! phew..! over senti da!

     
  • At March 15, 2005 7:38 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At March 15, 2005 7:39 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Chikuado: In my stories I like to be what I can never be in my real life.. :)

    Romba senti aa.. Adhaan indha vaati I gave a happy ending.. More to satisfy my ego ;)

     
  • At March 15, 2005 9:19 am, Blogger Ad astra per aspera said…

    Well written..Nice twist.:-)

     
  • At March 15, 2005 10:00 am, Blogger che sara sara said…

    vikram...tat was real good one....i jumped from dv.....romba senti stuff...

     
  • At March 15, 2005 7:56 pm, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @ ad astra, dumbs, sophia: Thanks guys :)

     
  • At March 16, 2005 9:07 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Endha Goutham da? En pakkathu veetu paiyanaa?

     
  • At March 16, 2005 8:41 pm, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Peepi:

    Unakku theriyaamaiyaa? Ava yaarunnu enakku therinjadhukku appuram unakku kandipaa solrein :)

     
  • At March 16, 2005 9:08 pm, Blogger NS said…

    hey,
    very cute one... sema senti, edho padam pakkara madiri...

    keep them coming..:)

     
  • At March 24, 2005 10:25 am, Blogger DreamClicks said…

    Beautiful.

    May 1st is here soon. So enna plans? Candle light dinner eh?!?! ahem ahem...

     
  • At May 14, 2005 10:24 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    I called her up on April 30th to wish her.. She wasnt feeling too well.. Had an exam too on May 2nd..

    She said she did it well, tho!

     
  • At November 10, 2005 11:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lovely..
    very touching..

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
History
Archives
Super Star Blogs
My Shreya
The Salad
Affiliates
  • 15n41n1
  • Get Firefox
  • Listed on BlogShares