Thursday, April 21, 2005
9847168111 @
By Whoosh 2 @ 9:10 am      20 Comments
Late one night on the 100 feet road, a white Santro zips past the red signals. The Speedometer reads 110. The driver looks to be in a visibly upset state. Looking down he notices that the radio is tuned to 98.3FM. The Radio Mirchi RJ was hosting some programme for lovers. What an irony. He changes the frequency to the All India Radio. An emergency news bulletin is going on. Hearing the news, the driver breaks into a sweat….

Earlier that night, I was at Coffee Day with Shreya. The same Coffee Day where we had met four years back. (See my previous post titled Avazh to know how I met Shreya). The Tropical Iceberg I had ordered tasted all the better with her around. We spent around an hour there. I needed to go to the rest room and I excused myself for a couple of minutes. When I came back I saw her sitting at the table looking a bit restless. I noticed her cell-phone in her hand. There were two missed calls. Both the calls were from the same number - 9847168111. It wasnt a number I recognized...

"Hey, It probably is just a wrong number"

"No Vikkki. I have been getting calls from this number for the past one week. I know who it is. I spoke to him"

"What? Really? Who is it? And why do you look so tensed?"

"That was Siddarth. My ex-boyfriend. Not met him in over 6 years now. He wanted to talk to me. He wanted to get back together.."

"That's strange. And what did you say?"

"What do think I would have said? I said that there was someone else now. Thats why he keeps disturbing me with these calls... He has also given me an ultimatum. I get back with him, or he will decide my fate for me. I am not sure what he meant by that"
After a while, I left for home. After about half an hour she called me up and said that she had reached home. It was the courtesy call that she always gave - just for me to stop worrying about her journey back to her place. I reached my house and was about to hit the sack when I received a phone call...

"Hello. Is this Mr.Vikram?"

"Yeah. Who is this?"

"This is Inspector Ravi from the KK Nagar Police Station"

"Inspector? ....Yes sir, what can I do for you?"

"We found a cell phone on the road and your number was present in the 'Recently Dialled Numbers' list. The cell phone's number is 9847128290. Do u know this number sir?"

"Yeah. That's Shreya's phone. She must have misplaced it. I can hand it over to her. Where can I come to collect it, Sir?"

"Mr.Vikram. How do you know Shreya?"

"She is a very good friend of mine, Sir"

"Mr Vikram. We found a girl dead on the road. This phone was in her purse and we found your number in it and thats why we have called you. I am afraid, but I think your friend Shreya is dead. "

"What?? What are u talking about?"

"She has received a blow to her head with a blunt object. She has also received multiple knife cuts to her neck. We have found stab wounds in her stomach. Mr. Vikram. We need to make sure that this is indeed Shreya. I need you to identify the body for us. Please come to the Ashok Pillar junction immediately."

"Yes Sir, I'll be there.."
I got into my Santro and floored the accelerator. The Speedometer read 110. The radio showed the frequency as 98.3FM. The Radio Mirchi RJ was hosting some programme for lovers. What an irony. I tuned into All India Radio. An emergency news bulletin was being aired.

"A brutal murder has just been reported at the Ashok Pillar junction. A young girl, possibly in her early twenties, was stabbed to death just a short while ago. Eye witnesses say that she was attacked by a single person, but no information about the attacker has surfaced. The girl has a fractured head following a heavy blow to her skull. Inspector Ravi who is handling the case has refused to comment. The entire area has been cordoned off and tension is in the air. We will bring you further news about the incident as and when we get it.."
I reached Ashok Pillar. I saw her there. My lovely Shreya lay dead on the road. The brutality of the incident made me throw up. Shreya's parents were also there. They had told Inspector Ravi that she had met me this evening and that I was the last person she had met that day. Ravi approached me...


"We are not sure too. We initially thought that this was a robbery attempt. But all her belongings are intact in her purse. All the cash is still there and nothing seems to have been taken. Nobody saw the actual attack take place, but people say they saw a guy run away when they heard the girl scream for help. I am sure someone would have seen everything but no-one is willing to come forward. Vikram, do u suspect anyone?"

"I am not sure if this has anything to do with the case, but Shreya told me that she had been receiving calls from a number. 9847168111. She said that the caller was her ex-boyfriend Siddarth. She also said that she hadnt seen him in 6 years and that he had apparently threatened her to get back with him when she declined."

"Ic. 9847168111 eh? I'll run a check on the phone number and be back"
Ravi returned and confirmed that the number indeed belonged to Siddarth. He had called Siddarth on that number, but he didnt pick up. He got the alternate number of Siddarth from the mobile company. He called Siddarth at his Vadapalani residence and had asked him to come to the spot. Siddarth arrived within 10 minutes. He hadnt seen me before. But, I knew who he was...

"Hello Siddarth"

"Hello Sir.. How did all this happen?"

"We'll come to that in a while. When did u last meet Shreya?"

"I met her tonite Sir. She came over to my place in Vadapalani. We had dinner together."

"I thought she hadnt met you in over 5 years."

"No Sir. Who said that? We kept meeting regularly. I used to take her out often over the past 1 year. I last saw her one month back and next I saw her tonite. She wanted to speak to me about something. She called me yesterday and said she would come over to my place. She came and she left just an hour ago."

"Hmm. Achcha. Can I see your mobile phone mister."

"Yes sir. Here you go."

"What is the number of this mobile?"

"9886334223"

"Whose number is 9847168111?"

"That was my number sir. The phone got stolen two weeks back. Thats interesting sir. Shreya asked me about this number this night too. She told me that she was getting calls from that number and that the caller had identified himself as me. She came to my place to confirm if it was indeed me. Has that got to do anything with this murder??"
I took leave of the police. They asked me to come to the station the next morning for an enquiry. On my way back I took out my cell phone. I dialled my house number to inform my folks that I would be late. The phone started to ring at home and the caller line identification was flashing a number that my Mom didnt recognize. She picked up the phone.

"Mom. Vikkki here."

"Hey. Whose number is this?"

"Why? Mine."

"No. It is flashing 9847168111"..

That was when I realized my mistake. My first mistake that night. I had forgotten to replace the SIM card on my phone. It still had Siddarth's SIM in it. I had placed it in when I went to the rest-room at Coffee day to give her those missed calls.

I knew Shreya had lied to me about Siddarth. I knew she was cheating on me. I had seen them together often, but I hadnt asked her anything about it. I knew she was about to dump me and get back with Siddarth and that was something that I couldnt take. That was when I decided that the world wasnt big enough for the two of us. I laid out my plan. All I needed was Siddarth's mobile phone.

Getting hold of Siddarth's phone wasnt that big a deal at all. I just had to follow him around for a while. People these days are hardly careful about their phones. Fooling Shreya on the phone was easier than I thought. Just a gruff throat was all that was needed to have her believing that the caller was indeed Siddarth.

On my way back from Coffee Day, I bought a German Stiletto, arguably a good knife to commit murder with. When she called me saying that she had reached home, something told me that she wasnt at home. I decided to go to Siddarth's place. My suspicions were confirmed when I saw her come out of his house. She took an auto and got down at Ashok Pillar. I followed her closely making sure she didnt see me. I knocked her out cold with the cricket bat. A stab in her stomach and three slashes to her neck were all that it took. She wasnt going to cheat on anyother guy anymore...


Markiv.
20 Comments

20 Comments:
  • At April 21, 2005 8:46 pm, Blogger Jagan said…

    Nice article da. But do you realise that you have murdered your only love interest ? (though a fictious character..nevertheless the only one. Or is it am mistaken ? ;-) )

     
  • At April 21, 2005 9:02 pm, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Shreya is a class. I create a different instance of her for every article. I am just calling the delete operator on one instance now..

    :D

     
  • At April 21, 2005 10:35 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Naan ennavo neenga jail-la irundhavar nenachaen :D

     
  • At April 22, 2005 1:24 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Praveen: U see.. naan basically romba nallavan, aana en kulla thoongittirukkura mirugatha yaaravadhu thatti ezhupitaanganna ippadi yedhaavadhu nadanthudum :D

     
  • At April 22, 2005 3:24 am, Blogger Mandar said…

    wow, dude! intense. ;-)

     
  • At April 22, 2005 6:50 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Mandy: Hehe... I actually started to write a romantic story once again and somehow i ended up killing the female lead... :)

    @Mahesh: Yup, a German Stiletto.. :)

    @Ravi: Thanks man.. But I would definitely need a good screenplay writer to make up for the inconsistencies.. heheheh..

     
  • At April 22, 2005 10:07 am, Blogger Mandar said…

    romantic story? u nuts? dude!! u missed the mark by a long way!! u ended up killing off the female lead!! in fact, the male lead murdered her! for a romantic story, they would have to be enjoying honeymoon in paris by now!! ;-)
    he he he... just kidding. really, i thought it was a good story. :-)
    WE WANT MORE STORIES FROM MARKIV!! ;-)

     
  • At April 22, 2005 10:59 am, Blogger IBH said…

    Have been always a silent reader of ur blogs...donno from where but bloghopped onto urs! veryvery gripping story! :))

    so the next Dan Brown/Jeff Archer...or Vikki from India :)

     
  • At April 22, 2005 11:11 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    !@#$%!!!! and i had to read this on a Friday night, when i'm already grumbling about working from home.. thanks to Markiv, His royal highess, i cannot sleep tonight.

    dumbo!! good story.. though i get very uncomfy with murder mysteries that end with a witch-like laugh...

     
  • At April 22, 2005 10:20 pm, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Mandy: A very long way indeed.. :)

    @IBH: Thanks for dropping by mate..

    @Chikuado: Let me first say sorry for using Coffee Day as a place in teh story.. I know u dont like that place.. ;) (Courtesy: ur Saravana Bhavan post). Second, did u notice that this is the first blog from Markiv..??? So, Markiv has made his entry into the scene... :p

     
  • At April 23, 2005 5:40 am, Blogger Adaengappa !! said…

    Superb twists n turns and awesome climax !!ithu unga true story illaiye??

    I call it அடேங்கப்பா !!.

    keep rolling out few thrillers like this!!

     
  • At April 23, 2005 8:54 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @அடேங்கப்பா: Idhu en true story aaga koodathunnu sincere aa kadavul kittei vendikurein... :D

     
  • At April 23, 2005 11:11 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    vikkki... u not only used coffee day, u also talked about the whole thing happening right where i live..!! now can u BE more creepy???

    and hey.. welcome markiv!! (although hez made one heck of an entry indeed!)

     
  • At April 24, 2005 11:43 am, Blogger Sonal said…

    Vikki,
    I holded my breath all over, nice twist to the story ;-)
    And your comment,
    "Shreya is a class, I create a different instance of her for every article".
    A software Engg writing by heart:-)

     
  • At April 24, 2005 9:03 pm, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Hey Sonal.. Thanks yaar..

    And as I always say, Once a Software Engineer- always a software engineer- unfortunately!

     
  • At April 27, 2005 2:04 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    knocked out cold by a cricket bat, stabbed in the stomach and then three slashes to her neck!!! - gruesome :(

     
  • At April 28, 2005 8:41 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Insomniax: Well Suicidal and murder tendencies stay right within the confines of this blog page for sure...:)

    And, u feel like Mike Douglas.. Hmm.. Wonder who ur Sharon Stone is .. ;)

     
  • At May 14, 2005 6:39 am, Blogger Visithra said…

    Dark very dark - good one though after reading Avazh didn't see that coming.

     
  • At June 06, 2005 10:44 am, Blogger Rk said…

    good story!

     
  • At July 13, 2006 10:27 pm, Blogger Naresh said…

    Hi..I just came across the entire 'Shreya' series...an intense and absorbing series for sure!!!

    Just thought I should ask you about an inconsistency I noticed - like when Shreya called up and told you that she reached home, which number did she call on?? You still had Sidd's SIM on your mobile...I feel it is safe to assume that she called on your land line...However, I should also add that it does that affect the reader's enjoyment of the story in any way.

    Overall, a wonderful blog!!! Keep it up!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
History
Archives
Super Star Blogs
My Shreya
The Salad
Affiliates
  • 15n41n1
  • Get Firefox
  • Listed on BlogShares