Tuesday, February 01, 2005
Life's greatest challenges... @
By Whoosh 2 @ 9:12 pm      7 Comments
In life one faces many challenges.. and I mean MANY. But there are a few people who face the same "challenge" day after day and still dont know any solution to that. I am one of those. I face this challenge the first thing everyday and I have absolutely no solution.....

At 7:15 am, i walk into the bathroom to take a nice shower..My college hostel has two restrooms in every floor and the rest-room closest to my hostel room has three bathrooms in it (Wow! I have repeated the word "room" four times in the previous sentence!!! he he he) .. Three bathrooms for nine guys. Not a bad ratio, you might say... But lets get the facts straight...
I hate to have a bath with the "bucket and mug" technique. I am more the "direct from the shower" guy. In one of the bathrooms, the water from the shower defies earth's gravity....literally. Here, water would spurt out in a 270 degree angle, with the remaining 90 degrees being the direction in which it is actually supposed to. If the shower is opened, it is a guarantee that the person standing below the shower won't get a single drop of water on him, but all the walls of the bathroom would get a nice wash! Further, this bathroom's door won't close properly... So, you better have a nice throat to sing out loud when u are in there, lest you will be making an exhibition of yourself if someone opens the door (by mistake, that is :p). So, this bathroom is out of the question for me..

The remaining two bathrooms are okay. The showers in one of these is "respectable" and in the third bathroom it is quite good (This is my favorite bathroom). Now, the challenge is to be the first one to get into one of these bathrooms, 'cause if you are unlucky enough not to make it into the "first shift" it is a guarantee that you will miss the cab to your office! Further, all the alarm clocks in my floor go off at 7 am sharp! So, all the 9 guys compete at the same time.. Nice fun i would say. Till date, I have been lucky enough to get in - in the "first shift".

The time is around 7:20 when I actually get in to the shower. This is where the fun starts. Each bathroom has these "Jaguar-style" taps, if you know what I mean.. Two knobs, one for hot water and the other for cold water. Another leaver which when slanted towards the left will get water from the shower and when slanted towards the right would get water from the tap below. Get the picture? The two knobs that control the hot water and cold water are the greatest... But, before I get into that, a small flashback - when I first shifted into the hostel, I mistook the cold water knob for the hot water knob and vice versa, and I ended up having a cold water shower everyday for the first week thinking that the solar heater wasnt functioning.. He he he.. Good 'ol days!!! Now back to these knobs. It would take Albert Einstein his lifetime to figure out the correct degree to turn these knobs to. If you turn the hot water knob a little more than "the correct value", you can face the Sahara sun right there in your bathroom. On the other hand, if you turn the cold water knob to stabilize the temperature, you will immediately be transported to Antartica. It would take me a good 5 minutes of twisting and turning of the knobs to *try* to set the temperature right, but I would ultimately give up everyday and end up having a shower in either freezing cold water or bubbling hot water. But while all this is going on, dont forget that the "queue" of my fellow engineers outside the bathroom is building up and I need to relinquish my position in the bathroom soon.. After a quick uncomfortable shower I would come out of it to see the faces of my friends standing outside.. It would look as if they were asking "What the hell were you doing this long inside" and I would give them back a stare as if to say "Like you dont know... The same story for all of us...".

It is 7:40 when I come back to my room after the shower and now it is time to dress up. But before that I need to switch on the radio to listen to Vasanthi's voice shouting out "Good Morning Bangalooooru". Radio City 91FM is a good passtime, i must add. Back to my morning schedule.. I need to select a dress to wear. I hate this part. Most of my dresses would be crumpled up and I hate having to iron stuff in the morning. So, i would have to dig deeper into my box to get out some decent looking "costume" to wear to office.. After a spray of deodrant and a splash of aftershave, I look all descent to step out into the big bad world. And with all the fun I had for the first one hour of the day, I am ready to catch my cab for the one hour journey to Whitefield!!!

Bon Voyage!
Vikkki
7 Comments

7 Comments:
  • At February 02, 2005 2:46 am, Blogger Ambar said…

    hehe....know what you mean. Fortunately, I wake up only past 12 noon, so absolutely no competition for the shower stalls. :D

    BTW, I've perfected the technique of getting the water to the perfect temperature for a bath. Free advice on the matter if you need it!

     
  • At February 02, 2005 7:26 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    Guess that is one of the advantages of being a Research Assistant, eh Ambar? :p .. And abt the solution, phuleezzz let me know!

     
  • At February 02, 2005 9:23 am, Blogger Expert Reviewer said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At February 02, 2005 9:26 pm, Blogger Expert Reviewer said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At February 03, 2005 9:24 am, Blogger ESIH said…

    Vikram, I really had a hearty laugh reading it!!It was well written..unfortunately a real thing..well i had the same trouble when i was in Bang for a week .The taps are a real pain!!troublesome creatures!

     
  • At February 03, 2005 9:26 am, Blogger Whoosh 2 said…

    @Dumbs: Man, u are losing out on hostel life man.. It is a one of a kind experience!

    @Susmita: Thanks yaar.. Yeah, the taps can be quite a PAIN!! :)

     
  • At February 23, 2005 12:53 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    ROTFL!! showers are so tricky, aren't they..!! loved reading this one.. reminds me of Robin Williams (havnt read his writing, but u get it..)

    lucky ur a guy, dont have to fret too much about clothes, shoes et al - not that all gurls do, just that we have more options ;-)

    and jaguar taps.. nice hostel man..!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
History
Archives
Super Star Blogs
My Shreya
The Salad
Affiliates
  • 15n41n1
  • Get Firefox
  • Listed on BlogShares