Friday, October 21, 2005
When an Indian called up an "Indian".... @
By Whoosh 2 @ 11:45 am      4 Comments
It so happened that Microsoft was playing its usual tricks again... Remember the Virus scanner joke.. It goes something like this.. A dude scans his system for viruses and out comes the message box displaying "Microsoft Found!!! Delete? Quarantine? Exit?"...

So, my nice little laptop, surprisingly, worked without a hitch for a good 7 months. And then it happened. The system went Kapooot!!! And so I had to reinstall Windows.. Ever wondered why it was called Windows? I mean, why not doors?? Doors are bigger, arent they? Or in that case, why not Gates (as in the gate in the front of ur house). Coming to think of it, Gates would probably have been a better choice as HE could later got to have claimed it as a family business...

So, after installing the Windows XP software, XP religiously asked me to enter the product serial number. I tried arguing with my machine that I dont watch serials, but it refused to believe me. So I had to enter my serial number. After much deliberation with someone whom I dont know (my computer's girlfriend, maybe), it decided to tell me that the number I enetered was invalid. I was like, "what the......".. How could I make a mistake while just copying a silly number from the back of the machine to the front... Anyways, it wouldnt agree to lemme go forward. So, I had to do something about this.

Microsoft was good enough to give me two toll-free numbers to call them up. Since I was calling from my Hutch phone, the 1600- number was not usable. So, I called the other number that looked kinda weird. It started with three zeros. One zero means STD. Two zeros means ISD. Three zeros??? Never seen it before. Anyways, I called up this number fully expecting to hear an Indian voice at the other end.. Afterall, everyone knows that all Service calls are routed to India. So why would this be any different. Imagine my surprise when I was received with a "hello" with an African accent. Thats right, my call was routed to Africa!!!!!! hahahah!!!!

The fellow spoke good English, though at times I couldnt understand what he said. And that guy had pretty good manners. Whenever I said I couldnt understand him, he said "sorry". Now that is one word I dont get to hear often in India.

Anyways, my problem was solved and I developed a new interest for Africa!!

And talk about toll free numbers... That call cost be 24 bucks, though it was supposed to be "toll-free".

Go Africa!

Vikkki
4 Comments

4 Comments:
  • At October 22, 2005 11:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good post..enjoyed reading it..
    after kerala..now wish to go to africa vaa.. go africa..
    hope u meet that person there..;-)

     
  • At October 22, 2005 11:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice post.. enjoyed reading it..
    after kerala.. now u wish to got to africa vaa...go africa!..
    nice kerala pics in the album..

    hope u meet that person there in africa..;-)

     
  • At October 22, 2005 12:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    gud one !!! gud thing u called somebody there ,if it was here ur prob wouldnt have solved and ur call charges definately 24+

     
  • At October 23, 2005 2:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    South Africa is quite progressing. We (middle east) work closely with them and in terms of business, we gel with the European market for laptops and the likes. Read some of the reviews on DELL laptop and almost every american has complained about the calls taken in DELL, India. We have a long way to go in this BPO (sadly, the booming market) as well.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
History
Archives
Super Star Blogs
My Shreya
The Salad
Affiliates
  • 15n41n1
  • Get Firefox
  • Listed on BlogShares