Thursday, August 25, 2005
Thirumanam... @
By Whoosh 2 @ 9:49 am      28 Comments
Interviewer: Ungaludhu Love marriage aa, illai arranged marriage aa??
Couple: Engaludhu Love cum arranged marriage.. **giggle**

So, how many of us have heard this dialogue.. "Engaludhu love cum arranged marriage".. Trust me, I have never understood the logic behind this statement. Last week I went to Tirupathi to attend a friend's wedding. His was an arranged marriage, alright... But there I met one of his friends who, I heard, was going to get married soon..

Vikkki: Orey, Neeku pelli anaaru.. Eppudu ra? ( I heard you are getting married, when is it?)
Friend:November-lo ra..
Vikkki: Okay Cheppu.. Needhi love marriage aa ledhante arranged marriage aa? (Arranged or Love marriage???)
Friend: Naadhi Love cum arranged marriage ra.. (Arranged come love marriage man!!!)

Now for the love of God, what does that mean.. According to him it means where u love the girl; u tell your parents and u get married with their approval - That, apparently, is the meaning of Love cum arranged marriage.

So in that context, am I to infer that a love marriage is one where u love a girl, elope with her and get married?? Doesnt this spoil the sanctity of a love marriage???? Come on...

As far as I am concerned, Love cum Arranged marriage has a different dimension to it.. Let us say that you are in love with a female and she loves u too (female readers are kindly requested to invert the gender wherever appropriate). Now, both of u are shit-scared to tell your parents about it as you dont know what the outcome would be.. At the same time, the parents who are looking out for a proper match for their son lay their hands (by sheer coincidence) on their son's lover's photo from a kalyaana tharagar. They like the girl; they meet the gir's parents and the marriage happens... So the lovers have succeeded in their love without their parents ever knowing about it.. This for me is the best description of a "Love cum Arranged Marriage"...

And talking about Love marriages.. Well, I'd rather not talk about it.. Things are not too *good* in my part of the world with some heated exchanges happening.. So, I'll defer this for some other post... :)

Happy Marrying!

Vikkki
28 Comments

28 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
About Me
History
Archives
Super Star Blogs
My Shreya
The Salad
Affiliates
  • 15n41n1
  • Get Firefox
  • Listed on BlogShares